1 cup short-grain rice
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
3/4 tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
Toasted nori seaweed
Your choice of fillings (cooked carrots, avocado, fresh cucumbers, eggs)
- Rinse the rice several times, and drain. Then cook in rice cooker or combine rice with 1 cup of cold water, and bring to boil over high heat. Cover and cook over medium for 10 minutes, and then reduce to low and cook for 10 more minutes.
- Combine rice vinegar, sugar, and salt in a small pot over medium heat until sugar dissolves.
- Move rice to a large container, and drizzle the sweetened vinegar over the rice. With a rice paddle, use a slicing motion to gently separate the grains and mix in the vinegar.
- Lightly toast seaweed until crisp and fragrant.
- Prep your choice of fillings, and then begin to roll the sushi, starting with the rice, and then top with your fillings. Have a small bowl of water handy to wet fingers in order to keep the rice from sticking.
- Roll, slice, and enjoy!
- Main Dishes, Rice