Peanut Allergy Kills Teen

Despite Caution, Teen Dies From Peanut Allergy

If you've ever wondered just how serious a peanut allergy can be, a California family and popular camp sadly discovered the harsh truth. Parents say 13-year-old Natalie Giorgi was born with a peanut allergy and taught to be "exceedingly cautious" about what she ate. But while sitting in semidarkness around a campfire at Camp Sacramento — a family camp — she bit into a Rice Krispies treat that had been topped with peanut icing and immediately had an allergic reaction. Although Giorgi was administered a dose of Benadryl and three EpiPen injections by her father, who happens to be a doctor, they did not help, and she stopped breathing. Emergency personnel performed CPR, and she was taken to the hospital and pronounced dead.

"While our hearts are breaking over the tragic loss of our beautiful daughter Natalie, it is our hope that others can learn from this and realize that nut and food allergies are life-threatening," her parents said in a statement. "Caution and care for those (afflicted) should always be supported and taken."

Latest

Have Fun With POPSUGAR Selfie

+