There's never a shortage of news in the parenting world — from new studies to differing parenting styles. It all provides us with fodder to discuss on the playground, in the pickup line, and online. Take a look at the five stories that had our moms talking the most this week.
- Twelve Movies Perfect For Grade-Schoolers (With Nary a Princess in Sight)
Consider this the princess backlash. In a culture where princesses are considered little girls' heroes, moms are hard-pressed to find movies where the heroine doesn't wear a tiara. That's why we rounded up a dozen flicks where the leading characters are strong, smart females that portray girls in a more positive and complex light — something that moms appear to prefer.
- Do We Spend Too Much Time Behind the Camera?
Source: Flickr user donjd2
Chances are, you're always there, camera (or phone camera) at the ready when your kids are doing something or seeing something for the first time. You probably have albums filled of pictures of your kids experiencing things, but were you actually sharing the moment with them? One mom realized that she was missing out on much of her children's experiences because she was afraid of missing the opportunity to capture them in photos. Our moms aren't sure they agree. They're equally split on the matter, with many feeling that being behind the camera ensures their kids will have tokens to look back at in the future.
Keep reading to see what else had our moms talking this week!
- Nine Things Moms Hate Most About Breastfeeding
Breastfeeding is natural — and healthy — and a wonderful bonding experience. But it isn't always perfect. Our community shared their least favorite parts of the entire experience — from sleepless nights to unexpected leaks. If you breastfed, you're sure to recognize a few of these.
- Twenty-Five Ways TV Shows Bared or Covered Pregnant Bellies TV shows are notorious for ignoring pregnant actresses' pregnancies — ever notice how often they're standing behind a table or have a large purse covering them? With Kerry Washington's pregnancy making headlines, we took a look back at how some of our favorite shows hid or worked their stars' pregnancies into their scripts. It's a fun look back in popular culture!
- A Puberty Time Line: When to Shave, Buy a Bra, and More
Our guide to dealing with all of the joys of adolescence proved a popular read among moms who are gearing up for some challenging talks in the near future. This time line tackles it all, from buying a first bra to introducing deodorant to your kids' daily routines!